Montreal, July 29, 2015 – Rogers Cup presented by National Bank Tournament Director, Eugène Lapierre, announced today the withdrawal of world no. 2 Roger Federer of Switzerland.
“I am disappointed that I won’t be playing in Montreal because it’s a tournament and a city that I really enjoy and has incredible fans. My family and I have always received first class treatment from Tournament Director, Eugène Lapierre, and his team and I hope to be back in the future,” said Federer.
Federer has won the Rogers Cup presented by National Bank on two occasions in Toronto in 2004 and 2006. He also reached the Montreal final in 2007 where he fell to Novak Djokovic and finished runner up last year in Toronto to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. Federer has played the Canadian ATP Masters 1000 event eleven times in his career.
“We are obviously disappointed to have Roger withdraw as it is always a privilege to watch him play,” said Eugène Lapierre. “We also understand his decision because, above all, he has always been very loyal to our event and we would love to see him play tennis for many more years to come.”
Jerzy Janowicz of Poland will take Federer’s place in the main draw.
Tickets for the tournament are still available and can be purchased online at www.RogersCup.com, by phone at 1-855-TENNIS-0, or in person at Uniprix Stadium in Montreal.