Nadal to Miss Dubai Championships

January 3, 2010 · Print This Article

Nadal DubaiWorld No 2 Rafael Nadal, who is participating in Doha, Qatar this week, told reporters that he plans on resting for the month of February in order save his battered body.

Nadal, who endured both knee and abdominal injuries in 2009, will take a three week break after playing the Rotterdam, Netherlands event.

“I don’t think [I’ll play in Dubai],” said Nadal. “It depends if I have very bad results in Doha, Australia and Rotterdam [in the coming month], then maybe, but it’s not on my calendar.

“I didn’t stop at the end of last season. I practised for two-and-a-half weeks and I hope to have good tournaments [before Dubai] and then have three weeks off later. I have to rest a little bit and prepare for playing the American season and clay season because after that there is no chance to stop.”

Nadal’s mature take on his schedule comes at a time where his fitness and health must remain at a premium.

“I don’t have a lot of chances to play less if I want to be at the top,” he said. “I don’t decide the calendar, it’s the ATP. I don’t have a lot of chances to choose where I’m going to play and what I’m going to play.

“This is my eighth year on tour and for the past five years I was one of the players who played the most matches – I didn’t have a lot of [injury] problems. Last year I had a few, but that’s normal if you consistently play at 100 per cent: the body sometimes says ‘stop’.

Nadal will begin his 2010 campaign against Simone Bolelli on Tuesday.

Quotes courtesy of www.business24-7.ae.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google Bookmarks
  • BarraPunto
  • email
  • Live
  • MySpace
  • TwitThis
  • YahooMyWeb
  • Print
  • StumbleUpon

Join our RSS feed and mailing list to be up to date and entered into our contests.
(We do not sell or distribute your email)

Delivered by FeedBurner

Comments

Got something to say?